MAGWest was the first West Coast MAGFest event in Santa Clara, California (August 25th-27th) and we were stoked to be invited to do a panel this year. The topic we landed on was the sound system of the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and how the two sound chips (Sega PSG/YM2612) complemented each other for a rich audio experience. This year we had two guests join in on the talk. Well-known chiptune artist and game audio advocate Inverse Phase and the master of the OPL2, Extent of the Jam. Sound chips, tunes, and some Inverse Phase originals included. There’s also a mini game at the end :)
MAGWest had tons of bands, music, gaming, and awesome people in the community. It was a blast! Look below for the presentation —Oh, and pardon the audio quality!
Tracks are for Mega Drive / Genesis unless otherwise stated
Tracks by Inverse Phase using Deflemask tracker in Genesis mode
- 00:15:10 Sewer Surfin’ – TMNT: Hyperstone Heist composed by Masahiro Ikariko
- 00:32:10 Space Harrier Theme – Master System BIOS (SMS+FM) composed by Hiroshi Kawaguchi, arranged by (?)
- 00:34:12 Mountain Peak – Yuu Yuu Hakusho: Makyou Touitsusen composed by Katsuhiko Suzuki
- 00:37:06 Flood of Power – Midnight Resistance arranged by Hitoshi Sakimoto, Shogo Sakai
- 00:41:39 Transparent Obstacle – Gauntlet IV composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto, Masaharu Iwata
- 00:46:45 Bad Fairy – Rolling Thunder 3 composed by Rose and Dick Boy!!
- 00:46:45 Pinch it Off – composed by Inverse Phase
- 00:46:45 Sega Things – composed by Inverse Phase
- 01:18:29 Staff Roll – Thunder Force IV composed by Toshiharu Yamanishi, Takeshi Yoshida
For our panel, we included a visual presentation to help with some of the explanation. Please check below and follow along to see the oscilloscope view of both sound chips during some of the tracks as well as other visual aids. If it doesn’t load for you, click here!