On today’s episode we’re joined by Rob aka Xerxes of Hardcore Gaming 101’s “Top 47k Games” podcast. We talk about his background, how the podcast is made, the excellent resource Hardcore Gaming 101, along with our usual jovial banter. Rob brings us a selection of fantastic deep cuts of early to mid 90s Japanese VGM used in the show, most of which are intro and ending tunes. It’s a really fun show and as always we hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Shout out to our friend Norm aka @normallyretro for lending his voice to the HG101 Golf Remix and the main Top 47k Games theme song. Dogs Bower!
Also a big thanks to Dee Liteyears for providing the delightful episode artwork! Follow them on Twitter @DeeLiteyears. Dogs Bower (and Bubsy)!
- 0:00:00 “Main Menu” Pebble Beach Golf Links (SNES) by Yumi Satake (née Kinoshita)
- 0:07:57 “HG101 (Golf Remix)” remix of Pebble Beach Golf Links arranged by Xerxes
- 0:15:21 “Howl of Crow” Black Bird: Tori Tachi no Tooboe (PC-98) by Takeaki Watanabe
- 0:24:02 “Character Making” Drakkhen (SNES) by Hiroyuki Masuno
- 0:28:38 (Background) “House in Fire Area” Drakkhen (SNES) by Hiroyuki Masuno
- 0:37:10 “Staff Roll (OPN)” Metal Force (PC-98) by Daisuke Takahashi
- 0:59:15 “Impossible One” – Cho Ren Sha 68k (X68k, PC) by Ruzarin Kashiwagi
- 1:13:22 “Opening Title” Division Guardian: Twinkle-Star (PC-98) by Hiroaki Sano
- 1:21:34 “Ending B” Puyo Puyo Tsu (GEN/MD) by Tsuyoshi Matsushima
- 1:31:17 “Ending 1” Rhyme Star (PC-98) by Takeshi Abo
- 1:47:23 “Ending” Possessioner (PC-98) by Hiroaki Sano
For more Hardcore Gaming 101, check out the links below:
- Top 47k Games Podcast
- HG101 website
- HG101 Discord
- HG101 books
- Article on Korean gaming (old site, mentioned in show)
Worst Video Game Ever – Drakkhen YouTube video mentioned on show, just for fun